Finding Aid of the Ridgecrest Scrapbook, AV.7010

Menu

Finding Aid of the Ridgecrest Scrapbook, AV.7010

Abstract

The Young Woman's Auxiliary (Y.W.A.) Camp at Ridgecrest was founded in 1924 under the direction of Juliette Mather. It was part of the larger Southern Baptist Assembly incorporated in 1907. Mather, who is pictured in the scrapbook, led the girls to follow the slogan of "Fellowship, Friendship, Frolic, and His Spirit Over All." The Y.W.A. camps were feeders for the mission fields, where women would dedicate their lives to church-related services.

This scrapbook features black-and-white photographs of six young ladies during the summer of 1944 and includes buildings at the Southern Baptist Assembly. Of special note are doodles or marginal drawings included on some pages.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Ridgecrest Scrapbook
Call Number
AV.7010
Creator
Unknown
Date
1944
Repository
Western Regional Archives, State Archives of North Carolina

Series Quick Links

    Restrictions on Access & Use

    Access Restrictions

    Available for research.

    Use Restrictions

    Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.

    Preferred Citation

    Ridgecrest Scrapbook Collection, Western Regional Archives, Asheville, N.C. , U.S.A.

    Collection Overview

    This collection is one 9 x 6 inch scrapbook consisting of 35 photographs with captions and a few drawings/doodle. Thirty-four photographs being 3.5 x 2.25 inched and one photograph being 4 x 6 inches.

    Biographical/Historical

    The Southern Baptist Assembly, now Ridgecrest Conference Center, was the dream of Bernard Washington Spilman, who envisioned a religious resort and gathering place for Baptists to worship, learn, congregate, and mission. He selected a beautiful mountain site in Terrell, North Carolina and the Southern Baptist Assembly was incorporated in 1907. The name was first changed to Blue Mont and then to Ridgecrest in 1912. By 1914, the original 54-room Pritchell Inn was built, but was replaced in 1964 by Pritchell Hall, still in use. The site has endured lean financial times, windstorms, and floods, but in 2002, it underwent a major renovation that included the construction of the Rutledge Chapel and the Mountain Laurel Inn. Additional updates are planned for the future, to keep Ridgecrest a viable retreat.

    The group of young ladies pictured in the 1944 scrapbook was likely part of the Young Women's Auxiliary Camp that began meeting at the Southern Baptist Assembly in 1924. Led by Juliette Mather, who is pictured in the scrapbook, the girls would have followed the slogan of "Fellowship, Friendship, Frolic, and His Spirit Over All." The Y.W.A. camps were feeders for the mission fields, where women would dedicate their lives for church-related services.

    Contents of the Collection

    Subject Headings

  1. Southern Baptist Assembly
  2. Ridgecrest Baptist Conference Center
  3. Female friendship
  4. Ridgecrest (N.C.)
  5. Scrapbooks
  6. Photograph albums
  7. Acquisitions Information

    Donated by Matthew Peek, summer 2016.