callout

Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church Sunday School Records


Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church was founded in 1887, after a group of Manteo residents were organized by the efforts of circuit preacher Joseph G. Lennon. A half acre parcel of land was purchased for $26.50. The church, on the corner of Ananias Dare and Essex Streets, continues as an active congregation.The Sunday school records document attendance in various classes, names of pupils, teachers and administrators, and a weekly report on services and weather conditions for each Sunday.

Title

Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church Sunday School Records

Collection Number

CHR.5039

Date(s)

1893-1941

12
Language

English

Physical Description
Items
17.00
Abstract

Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church was founded in 1887, after a group of Manteo residents were organized by the efforts of circuit preacher Joseph G. Lennon. A half acre parcel of land was purchased for $26.50. The church, on the corner of Ananias Dare and Essex Streets, continues as an active congregation.

The Sunday school records document attendance in various classes, names of pupils, teachers and administrators, and a weekly report on services and weather conditions for each Sunday.

Physical Location

3A1

Creator

Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church Sunday School Department

Repository

Outer Banks History Center


Sunday School record books are arranged chronologically, with treasurer's account book, account book for the Bright Jewels band, and teacher's class book at end of series.


Available for research.


Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.


Processed by Sarah Downing, October 2008

Encoded by Sarah Downing, November 2008


Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church was founded in 1887, after a group of Manteo residents were organized by the efforts of circuit preacher Joseph G. Lennon. A half acre parcel of land was purchased for $26.50.

The original structure was built in 1887 and measured 32 x 50 feet at a cost of $1500.00. Additional classrooms, a choir loft and a library were added in 1907. An educational building was constructed on the church property in 1947, and the fellowship hall was dedicated in 1982.

Mt. Olivet underwent a major renovation and expansion in 1983 that won the design architects Stephen and Francis the Dumont Award. The design kept the outward appearance of the building intact while enlarging sanctuary by moving interior walls. Original stained glass windows were removed and restored and incorporated into the new design.


Formerly classified as 33MSS-39


[Identification of item], PC.5039, Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church Sunday School Records, Outer Banks History Center, Manteo, NC.


Donated by John F. Wilson, IV


The collection includes 14 Sunday School record books, 1 treasurer's account book (Sunday School, 1 treasurer's account book (Bright Jewel Band), and 1 teacher record book. The record books list the names of Sunday School officers, teachers, students for Men's Bible Class, Women's Bible Class and children's classes, (1893-1906) and weekly reports of attendance, who conducted services, opening hymns, number of teachers and students present and absent, scripture lessons and subject, amount of offering received, weather conditions for the day and how services were closed (1893-1941). The book dated from 1916 - 1922 reflects membership of the Bright Jewel Band.


  • Bright Jewel Band
  • Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (Manteo, N.C.)
  • Bands (Music)
  • Church records and registers--North Carolina--Manteo
  • Manteo (N.C.)