callout

St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church Records


On August 18, 1850, a soundside Episcopal chapel, All Saints, was consecrated in Nags Head, North Carolina to cater to the growing population of merchants, planters, and businessmen who brought their families to spend the summer at the resort. The chapel was torn down in 1865 by order of Union Forces' General Ambrose Burnside, in order to use the lumber for the Freedmen's colony on Roanoke Island. Under the leadership of Rev. Robert B. Drane, D.D., a compensation of $700 was paid by Congress for the loss of the church. A new church was constructed and consecrated on August 16, 1916. The new church was called St. Andrew's By The Sea. The church was moved to its current spot in 1937. Several a ... (more below)

Title

St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church Records

Collection Number

CHR.5090

Date(s)

1936-1997

Box 1Box 2Box 3Box 4Box 5Box 6Box 7Box 8Box 9
Language

English

Physical Description
Cubic feet
3.88
Abstract

On August 18, 1850, a soundside Episcopal chapel, All Saints, was consecrated in Nags Head, North Carolina to cater to the growing population of merchants, planters, and businessmen who brought their families to spend the summer at the resort. The chapel was torn down in 1865 by order of Union Forces' General Ambrose Burnside, in order to use the lumber for the Freedmen's colony on Roanoke Island. Under the leadership of Rev. Robert B. Drane, D.D., a compensation of $700 was paid by Congress for the loss of the church. A new church was constructed and consecrated on August 16, 1916. The new church was called St. Andrew's By The Sea. The church was moved to its current spot in 1937. Several additions to the church have been made through the years. A new sanctuary was completed and dedicated in 2003.

The St. Andrews By The Sea Episcopal Church Records contain correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, vestry meeting minutes, treasurer's reports, church bulletins, and sermons.

Physical Location

3F0-4A1

Creator

St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church

Repository

Outer Banks History Center


The Collection is arranged into nine main series: Correspondence Mailing Lists Donations Vestry Treasurer's Reports Services and Ministries Church Improvements Church Papers and Photographs.


Available for research.


Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.


Processed by Kelly R. Grimm, September, 2009

Encoded by Kelly R. Grimm, October, 2009


On August 18, 1850, a soundside Episcopal chapel, All Saints, was consecrated in Nags Head, North Carolina to cater to the growing population of merchants, planters, and businessmen who brought their families to spend the summer at the resort. The chapel was torn down in 1865 by order of Union Forces' General Ambrose Burnside, in order to use the lumber for the freedmen's colony on Roanoke Island. Under the leadership of Rev. Robert B. Drane, D.D., a compensation of $700 was paid by Congress for the loss of the church. A new church was constructed and consecrated on August 16, 1916. The new church was called St. Andrew's By The Sea. The church was moved to its current spot in 1937. Several additions to the church have been made through the years. A new sanctuary was completed and dedicated in 2003.


Formerly classifies as 33MSS-90


[Identification of item], CHR.5090, St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church Records, Outer Banks History Center, Manteo, N.C., U.S.A.


Donated by Rev. Charles Gill and St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church in 2006 following the recommendation of a history committee.


The St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church Records contain materials related to St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church. It contains correspondence from various St. Andrew's rectors, including Rev. F. B. Drane, Rev. Stan Easty, and Rev. Kenneth Whitney. Some of the correspondence from Whitney is prior to his service at St. Andrew's. The collection also holds vestry meeting minutes, treasurer's reports, church mailing lists, sermons, church bulletins, building plans, and parish meeting minutes. There is also information on other church ministries, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, the healing ministry, and church school.


  • St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church (Nags Head, N.C.)
  • Church records and registers--North Carolina--Nags Head
  • Nags Head (N.C.)

Folder: 2:3.1  
Mission Herald
1958-1959

Folder: 2:3.2  
College List
1963

24842  
Building Fund Mailing Lists

Folder: 2:3.3  
1963-1966
1963-1966
Folder: 2:3.4  
1967-1971
1967-1971

Folder: 3:4.1  
Building Fund Donations
1966-1968

24844  
EMC and Building Fund Donations

Folder: 3:4.2  
1968
1968
Folder: 3:4.3  
1969
1969
Folder: 3:4.4  
1970
1970

Folder: 3:4.5  
Building Program Parish Hall Donors

Folder: 3:4.6  
Heat Pump Fund

24847  
Easter Offerings

Folder: 3:4.7  
1966-1967
1966-1967
Folder: 3:4.8  
1969
1969
Folder: 3:4.9  
1970
1970
Folder: 3:4.10  
1971
1971

Folder: 3:4.11  
Christmas Offerings
1964-1966

Folder: 3:4.12  
Memorial Gifts

Folder: 4:5.1  
Vestry Declaration Promise

24851  
Vestry Meeting Minutes

Folder: 4:5.2  
1957-1958
1957-1958
Folder: 4:5.3  
1960-1961
1960-1961
Folder: 4:5.4  
1962-1963
1962-1963
Folder: 4:5.5  
1964-1965
1964-1965
Folder: 4:5.6  
1966-1967
1966-1967
Folder: 4:5.7  
1971-1978
1971-1978
Folder: 4:5.8  
1979-1980
1979-1980
Folder: 4:5.9  
1981-1984
1981-1984
Folder: 4:5.10  
1988-1991
1988-1991

24827  
Rev. F. B. Drane

Folder: 1:2.1  
1937-1945
1937-1945
Folder: 1:2.2  
1946-1951
1946-1951
Folder: 1:2.3  
1951-1954
1951-1954
Folder: 1:2.4  
1955-1965
1955-1965

24828  
Rev. Kenneth Whitney

Folder: 1:2.5  
1952-1963
1952-1963
Folder: 1:2.6  
1964-1966
1964-1966

Folder: 1:2.7  
Rev. Stan Easty Re: Louis Dill
1970-1971

24830  
General

Folder: 1:2.8  
1948-1959
1948-1959
Folder: 1:2.9  
1963-1966
1963-1966
Folder: 1:2.10  
1966-1967
1966-1967
Folder: 2:2.11  
1968
1968
Folder: 2:2.12  
1969
1969
Folder: 2:2.13  
1970
1970
Folder: 2:2.14  
1971
1971
Folder: 2:2.15  
1976-1996
1976-1996

Folder: 2:2.16  
Mobile Chapel
1957-1958

Folder: 2:2.17  
Stained Glass Windows
1965

Folder: 2:2.18  
Church Furniture and Kneelers

Folder: 2:2.19  
Building Fund Thank-you notes

Folder: 2:2.20  
Church History Inquiries by Lou Overman
1997

Folder: 2:2.21  
Easter Letters
1954-1970

Folder: 2:2.22  
Christmas Letters
1952-1969

Folder: 2:2.23  
Christmas Letter and Offerings
1970

Folder: 2:2.24  
Every Member Canvas Letters

Folder: 5:7.1  
1957-1959
1957-1959

Folder: 5:7.2  
1960-1961
1960-1961

Folder: 5:7.3  
1962-1967
1962-1967

Folder: 5:7.4  
1968
1968

Folder: 5:7.5  
1969
1969

Folder: 5:7.6  
1970
1970

Folder: 5:7.7  
1971
1971

Folder: 5:7.8  
1972-1973
1972-1973

Folder: 5:7.9  
1974
1974

Folder: 5:7.10  
1975 1978-1979
1975 1978-1979

Folder: 5:7.11  
1980
1980

Folder: 5:7.12  
1981
1981

Folder: 5:7.13  
1982
1982

Folder: 5:7.14  
1983-1984
1983-1984

Folder: 5:7.15  
1989-1992
1989-1992

Folder: 6:8.1  
Sermons
1956-1957

Folder: 6:8.2  
Bulletins

24869  
Church Bulletins

Folder: 6:8.3  
1962
1962
Folder: 6:8.4  
1963
1963
Folder: 6:8.5  
1964
1964
Folder: 6:8.6  
1965
1965
Folder: 6:8.7  
1966
1966
Folder: 6:8.8  
1967
1967
Folder: 6:8.9  
1968
1968
Folder: 6:8.10  
1969
1969
Folder: 7:8.11  
1970
1970

Folder: 7:8.12  
Church School Attendance

Folder: 7:8.13  
Church School
1959-1960

24872  
Healing Ministry

Folder: 7:8.14  
1961-1966
1961-1966
Folder: 7:8.15  
Undated

Folder: 7:8.16  
Alcoholism Services

Folder: 7:8.17  
Good Friday "The Three Hours"

Folder: 7:8.18  
Altar Guild

Folder: 7:8.19  
Usher Schedule
1965

Folder: 7:8.20  
Tithing

Folder: 7:8.21  
American Bible Society

Folder: 7:8.22  
Parochial Reports
1963-1982

Folder: 7:9.1  
Heating and Air Conditioning System

Folder: 7:9.2  
Paint-Exterior

Folder: 7:9.3  
Foundation Renewal

Folder: 7:9.4  
Roof Re-shingling

Folder: 7:9.5  
Brochures and Flyers on Building Materials

Folder: 7:9.6  
Adopt-a-Pew Program
1990

Folder: 7:9.7  
Property Maintenance Contract
1991

24887  
Diocese of East Carolina Convention

Folder: 8:10.1  
Wilmington
1959
Folder: 8:10.2  
Nags Head
1977

Folder: 8:10.3  
Purchase of J. H. Towe Property
1963

Folder: 8:10.4  
Copies of Deeds for Church Land and Buildings

Folder: 8:10.5  
Rectory Lease Agreement
1960-1961

24891  
Church Building Plans

Folder: 8:10.6  
1915-1933
1915-1933
Folder: 8:10.7  
1957-1987
1957-1987

Folder: 9:10.8  
Church Building Survey

Folder: 9:10.9  
Church Inventory

Folder: 9:10.10  
Church Demographics and Surveys
1977-1978

Folder: 9:10.11  
Parish Report
1974

Folder: 9:10.12  
Land Survey and Appraisal
1983

Folder: 9:10.13  
National Register of Historic Places Nags Head Historical District
1984

Folder: 9:10.14  
Historic Preservation Tax Incentives

Folder: 9:10.15  
Diocese of East Carolina Constitution Canons and Rules of Order

Folder: 9:10.16  
Church Histories

Folder: 9:10.17  
Stocks

Folder: 9:10.18  
Fire Insurance

Folder: 9:10.19  
New Rector Search Rev. K. Weldon Porcher

Folder: 9:10.20  
Annual Convention Journal of the Episcopal Church
1850 1851 1866

24905  
Newspaper Clippings

Folder: 9:10.21  
1 of 2
Folder: 9:10.22  
2 of 2

Folder: 9:10.23  
Brochures