In 1905 the General Assembly established the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey, the state's first agency charged with examining natural resources both in terms of economic potential and of conservation needs. In 1925 the General Assembly replaced the Geological and Economic Survey with the Department of Conservation and Development, giving it a broad mandate to expand all services currently offered by the state in the conservation, utilization, and development of natural resources. In the area of forest resources, the department had overall responsibility for forest maintenance, fire prevention, reforestation, and custody of state forests and parks. Under the Executive Organizati ... (more below)
Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, Division of Forest Resources Information and Education Photography
MARS ID 84.48
In 1905 the General Assembly established the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey, the state's first agency charged with examining natural resources both in terms of economic potential and of conservation needs. In 1925 the General Assembly replaced the Geological and Economic Survey with the Department of Conservation and Development, giving it a broad mandate to expand all services currently offered by the state in the conservation, utilization, and development of natural resources. In the area of forest resources, the department had overall responsibility for forest maintenance, fire prevention, reforestation, and custody of state forests and parks. Under the Executive Organization Act of 1971, the Department of Natural and Economic Resources was created and placed under the direction of a cabinet-level secretary appointed by the governor. This act assigned to the new agency more than twenty different entities, including the Department of Conservation and Development and its divisions (including the forest service). By provision of a legislative act of 1977, the department was reorganized and renamed the Department of Natural Resources and Community Development.This collection was compiled by the Division of Forestry for use in information and education programs on the state of the timber industry in North Carolina. It includes photographs and negatives arranged in alphabetical order by subject matter.
State Archives of North Carolina
The collection has been arranged by subject using the headings created by the originating agency. The collections on the cards are in their original order. The remainder of the collection has been arranged by subject in alphabetical order.
Available for research.
Processed by Bill Alley, August, 1990;
Encoded by Dietra Stanley, July, 2003; additional encoding and historical note by Ashley Yandle, June, 2010
In 1905 the General Assembly established the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey, the state's first agency charged with examining natural resources both in terms of economic potential and of conservation needs. In 1909 the state employed its first graduate forester in the office of the State Geological and Economic Survey. By a legislative act of 1915 the forester was given the title of state forester and an ex officio position on the State Geological Board. Under the same act, the State Geological Board was charged with responsibility for the prevention and control of forest fires. In 1925 the General Assembly replaced the Geological and Economic Survey with the Department of Conservation and Development, giving it a broad mandate to expand all services currently offered by the state in the conservation, utilization, and development of natural resources. In the area of forest resources, the department had overall responsibility for forest maintenance, fire prevention, reforestation, and custody of state forests and parks. Subject to the board's approval, the director appointed the state forester. Within a few years, those functions relating to the conservation and development of forest resources would be consolidated in the department within the Division of Forestry.
Beginning in the 1930s, the Department of Conservation and Development underwent extensive modification, both through administrative directive and by legislative enactment. As an early example of these changes, in 1935 the General Assembly authorized the Board of Conservation and Development to acquire or lease property for the continuing development of state forests and parks, thus insuring future expansion of the program being conducted through the Forestry Division. During the following decade the department's board granted divisional status to the State Parks program. In 1937 the General Assembly appropriated funds to the department for national advertising of the state's resources and attractions, which led eventually to the establishment of a separate Travel and Promotion Division.
During the 1930s and 1940s the department began to assist private landowners in the practice of conservation measures. In 1939 the General Assembly authorized the Division of Forestry to conduct inspections and offer an instructional program to landowners. In 1947 the division was authorized to render services in scientific forestry management. The division further expanded its comprehensive services during the decades of the 1950s through the 1970s. By 1950 the division had established one of the nation's first forest insect and disease control programs--an outgrowth of the federal Forest Pest Control Act of 1947 that mandated federal cooperation with states to eradicate destructive insects and diseases. Subsequently, the legislature of 1953 vested the division with statutory authority to investigate, control, or eradicate disease outbreaks.
In 1955 the General Assembly authorized the division to enter the Southeastern Interstate Forest Fire Protection Compact. In the same year the legislature directed the state forester to appoint forest rangers as needs required, subject to board approval. In 1963 the division initiated its tree improvement program. During that year the legislature amended previous statutory law, thus expanding the duties of the department to include forestry management, development, and improvement.
The General Assembly of 1969 renamed the Forestry Division the North Carolina Forest Service and passed several acts defining its services. The legislature of 1969 also created the North Carolina Forestry Advisory Committee to serve in an advisory capacity to the Board of Conservation and Development.
Under the Executive Organization Act of 1971, the Department of Natural and Economic Resources was created and placed under the direction of a cabinet-level secretary appointed by the governor. This act assigned to the new agency more than twenty different entities, including the Department of Conservation and Development and its divisions (including the forest service). The former department and its board retained their previous statutory authority and functions.
The department was recreated and reconstituted under the Executive Organization Act of 1973. Under this act the Division of Forest Resources replaced the North Carolina Forest Service. The Forestry Advisory Committee was abolished and replaced by the Forestry Advisory Council. In 1975 the department was again reorganized by executive order of Governor James E. Holshouser, Jr., and the Division of Forest Resources continued under the same name.
By provision of a legislative act of 1977, the department was reorganized and renamed the Department of Natural Resources and Community Development (NRCD). The Division of Forest Resources continued as one of several divisions under the umbrella of the new department. The Forestry Advisory Council remained the advisory body for that division.
By the mid-1980s a movement emerged to combine into one department those agencies concerned with natural resources, environmental matters, and public health. In 1989 the General Assembly passed legislation creating the Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources. Under this act, the divisions of NRCD concerned with the environment and natural resources were transferred to the new department. The Forest Resources Division and the Forestry Advisory Council have continued under this new department.
[This historical note was taken from the historical notes in the MARS online catalog for the Natural Resources and Community Development Record Group, the Forest Resources Record Group, and other related record groups.]
[Identification of item] 84.48, Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, Division of Forest Resources Information and Education Photography, State Archives of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC, USA.
Transferred to the Archives by the N.C. Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, Division of Forest Resources. Accessioned on August 26, 1981.
This collection was compiled by the Division of Forestry for use in information and education programs on the state of the timber industry in North Carolina. The bulk of the collection is comprised of photographs mounted on cards containing descriptive information. These cards were arranged in collections according to subject matter. This arrangement has been retained. Many of the individual cards are missing. Also included among these collections is a group of photographs copied from the album of F.W. Bicknell. This album is also in the Archives.
Besides the card collections, this collection also contains many loose photographs depicting various aspects of timber in North Carolina. One large group of such photographs, taken during the 1940's, was too damaged to salvage, but the negatives and most of the captions have been retained in the collection. In addition to the negatives, for many of the collection's photographs there is also a file of correspondence from the Forestry Office concerning their photographs and descriptions of many of the items in the collection.
Established spring 1940. Note fire damage, which occurred 1 2 years ago. 3/20/46
Shortleaf pine stand on H.F. Auman tract after thinning in Randolph Co. 3/28/46
This is an "old field" which has a high percentage of low quality trees. 3/28/46
H.F. Auman property, Randolph Co. 3/28/46
C.T. Crocker tract Moore Co. 3/29/46
Planted Spring 1940. 3/29/46
C.T. Crocker tract. 3/29/40
Moore Co. 3/29/46
Mecklenburg Co. 4/5/46
Mecklenburg Co. 4/5/46
S.L. Alexander tract 4/5/46
This tract has been severely damaged by repeated fires.
1/4-acre sample plot. Bladen Lakes State Forest. 5/2/46
1/4 acre sample plot
Marked and thinned by Claridge, Griffiths, Huff,? , and Martin. 5/2/46
White Lake. 5/9/46
This timber marked for cutting but yellow paint not readily discernible in photo. 5/10/46
Large tree in foreground loblolly pine. 4/23/46
4 years after selective cutting 6/7/46
2 large trees removed in 1942 selective cutting. Good recovery of trees left. Some reproduction 2-3 years old. 6/7/46
Tree on right grew 27" and on the left 25" so far this year. This area opened up with good results by 1942 cutting. Bowen tract, Northampton Co. 6/7/46
Good recovery of leave trees and ample reproduction in openings. Bowen tract, Northampton Co. 6/7/46
H.F. Auman tract, near old house. 1630 bd ft. left 1780 bd. ft. cut. 6/12/49
Bordeaux tract 6.1A, Southern Box and Lumber Co. 7/17/46
Note complete absence of desirable trees or reproduction. 8/1/46
Trees 2" 3" DBH [Diameter breast height].
Cull hardwoods should be cut for firewood. 8/1/46
Producing no interest and occupying space which should be made available to better quality trees. 8/1/46
Tree in background 16.2" DBH ready to cut. Gray tract, Forsyth Co. 8/1/46
Well stocked near seed source but trees scattered 500 or more feet from seed tree. Gray tract. 8/1/46
2655 bd. ft./acre cut; 450 bd. ft. left. H.M. McAden tract, Mecklenburg Co. 8/19/46
Black locust and fire cherry in foreground. As a result of fire and heavy cutting, this land will be unproductive for many years. 9/46
Note occasional spruce and balsam which begins to show up among fire cherry, mountain ash, and other species which have no commercial value. 9/46
Portable sawmill owned by C.D. Trogden being operated on E.M. Fulp tract near Walnut Cove no. of Frick Mill.
Another view of rigging used with "sky hook." 10/16/46
Planted in 1937 by CCC crews. 11/27/46
Note Riegel tower to right. This planting made in 1937 by CCC crews. Fence shown in photo encloses this plantation and other forest land which is being grazed according to a specific program.
This breed being pastured on forest areas supporting reeds, wire grass, and other pasture plants found in the coastal plain area of N.C. Bull left is 4 yrs. old, other 2 yrs old. 11/27/46
Riegel Paper Corp., Near Bolton, N.C. 11/27/46
Stand consists of shortleaf and Virginia pine with some upland hardwoods. Shortleaf pine was favored in the cutting. 12/5/46
Old Buick motor converted for the purpose. 12/5/46
Capacity 3 5 m. per day. No edger therefore edging done on headsaw. Logs as low as 5 indiv. at small end being utilized.
Pleasant Oaks Plantation between Wilmington and Southport showing longleaf pine reproduction under sapling stand. Fire absent for 10 or more years. 1/7/47
Planter pulled by crawler type tractor in sandy loam soil. 1/17/47
Crawler type tractor (Caterpillar D 7) being used to power sawmill at state hospital, Raleigh. 2/14/47
Logs cut selectively on this property being sawed on this mill to produce lumber needed by the hospital for maintenance and repairs. 2/14/47
State Hospital tract, Raleigh. 2/14/47
State Hospital Raleigh. 2/14/47
Note condition following selective cutting. State Hospital. 2/14/47
Close up view of shortleaf loblolly pine stand on State Hospital tract, Raleigh, following selective cutting. 2/14/47
Good example of area being taken over by hardwoods to the exclusion of pine repro. 2/19/47
H.H. Elder tract planted by SCS in 1938. 2/19/47
H.H. Elder property. 2/19/47
Needs light improvement cutting now. 2/24/47
Note mature tree as indicated by smooth bark, flat tops, and stag heads. 2/24/47
Majority of these trees ready for cutting. Some young growth in background. 2/25/47
A large percentage of trees in this stand ready for cutting. 2/25/47
Mrs. Alex Martin tract, Pender Co. 2/25/47
Very few trees removed in this size stands. 2/25/47
Note size of trees which were cut and quality trees left for future harvests. Photo taken from US Hwy. 117. 2/25/47
Kendall Mills, Mecklenburg Co. 4/2/47
Very little reproduction present now. 4/17/47
State hospital, Morganton. 4/17/47
12 ft. in height and 4" DBH. Ray Adams tract. 5/l/47
Beach control fence in background. Latter built to stop tide flow resulting from 1933 storm. 5/1/47
View from large dune S.E. 5/47
Portion of R.F. Crouse white pine plantation in Allegheny Co., which has been damaged by grazing. 5/14/47
This tract thinned in 1941. Note fire damage following cutting for saw timber.
Improvement cut made in 1941 but FSA talked owner into making current sale. 5/47
Hardwood stand after cutting to 10" stump dia. Limit in 1945-1946
Mark Scott tract near Sparta. N.C. 7/23/47 8 yrs. old
This bed hand weeded and not treated with "selective herbicide." 7/29/47
Notre Dame Academy, Southern Pines.
Dr. Ben F. Royall tract. 8/13/47
2/27/48, looking east from intersection of Coleridge Rd. and old Spence homeplace
This gate built in 1943 is in very poor condition due to rot caused by exposure to weather. 4/14/48
This gate was treated with water gas tar and today is in as good condition as when first constructed. 4/14/48
Farm treating plant consisting of old boiler cut in half and placed on foundation with shelter to keep out rain. 4/16/48
Post treated with water gas tar at butt and top in 1929. Sound except untreated portion in middle. 4/14/48
This machine manufactured by Chas. Alford, Kinston, N.C. 4/14/48
Carteret Co. 4-6" DBH. 6/8/48
Yeatman tract. 6/8/48
Plot #11 longleaf survey. 6/16/48
Longleaf stand on Lennon tract between Supply and Southport. 6/16/48
Pender Co. 8/17/48
(Plot #18 of longleaf survey. 20 6 10" and 36 10" trees per acre.) 6/17/48
This type of fence common when labor was cheap and when ample chestnut available for producing rails. 3/30/49
15 101, trees per acre in foreground. 6/16/48
Kendall Mills, Mecklenburg Co. 9/21/48
These removed on a selective basis to improve the condition of the stand 9/21/48
I.P. Co. (Mead Menney) tract in Onslow Co. 3/23/49
Note trees girdled to release better species and quality trees
Note hornbeam, which has been girdled. 3/24/49
Approx. 2/3 of the volume has been marked for removal. 3/24/49
Cone Mills Corp. 5/12/49
Trees 4"-8" DBH. 5/14/49
Group of Appalachian section (S.A.F.) inspecting mountain logging road near Pickens, S.C. Poinsett Lumber Co. tract. 6/4/49
Note hornbeam which has been girdled. 3/25/49
Purdy, Va. 6/8/49
Logging with ? truck ??? 6/13/49
Note mounting on trailer for ease in transportation. 6/8/49
Note drive pulley, head raw, and head blocks. 6/8/49
Bladen Lakes State Forest. 6/49
Bladen Lakes State Forest. 1949
Full charge of fence posts being soaked in pentachlorophenol. 6/22/49
Note storage tank, treating vat, and dry posts ready for treatment.
Bladen Lakes State Forest. 6/22/49
Longleaf pine showing effects of "little leaf" disease. 6/24/49
This tree will die in 1-2 years based on observations of Riegel Paper Co. foresters. 6/24/49
Some trees 8" DBH and 40 feet in height. 6/24/49
T.E. Dry tract. Davis, Alman, and Bakersville. 8/10/49