callout

Dorothea Dix School of Nursing Related Papers


The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing opened in 1902 and trained nurses through World War II, becoming a member of the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps. After the last graduating class of 1949, the school still offered an affiliation in psychiatric nursing to students who had completed 21 months of basic nursing course from approved schools of nursing, until 1951.The bulk of this collection consists of photographs of nursing school graduating classes, covering 1930 to 1948, and including the Cadet Class of 1944. Other materials include publications, The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing, 1947, and Dixiana, 1951, and general records of the school.

Title

Dorothea Dix School of Nursing Related Papers

Collection Number

ORG.140

Date(s)

1905 - 1951

Language

English

Physical Description
Manuscript box
1
Physical Description
Manuscript boxes
1.00
Abstract

The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing opened in 1902 and trained nurses through World War II, becoming a member of the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps. After the last graduating class of 1949, the school still offered an affiliation in psychiatric nursing to students who had completed 21 months of basic nursing course from approved schools of nursing, until 1951.

The bulk of this collection consists of photographs of nursing school graduating classes, covering 1930 to 1948, and including the Cadet Class of 1944. Other materials include publications,  The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing, 1947, and  Dixiana, 1951, and general records of the school.

Physical Location

For current information on the location ofthese materials, please consult the Public Services Branch, State Archives of North Carolina.

Creator

Dorothea Dix School of Nursing

Repository

State Archives of North Carolina


Chronological within each record type.


Available for research.


Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.


Processed by Gwen Thomas Mays, October, 2008

Encoded by Gwen Thomas Mays, December, 2008


As the need became apparent for trained nurses and personnel, a nurses' home was built and the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing opened in 1902 with eight female students. It continued until October 1913 when the school was reorganized and arrangements were made for the students to receive the second year of their education at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. The first class graduated in June 1915. The school was incorporated as Dix Hill Hospital Training School for Nurses, in 1916. Anderson Hall was built to accommodate the school offices, classrooms and living quarters for student nurses in 1918.

During the year 1930 the School of Nursing was brought up to the standards required by the Standardization Board, the accrediting agency for schools of nursing in North Carolina. The school for nurses at the State Hospital was reincorporated as the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing in 1933. The student nurses received two years' training in the hospital and in their third year affiliated with a general hospital which made them eligible for the North Carolina state examinations and for reciprocity with other states.

In 1936 the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing was operating according to the standards set by the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Students received the second year of their education at the General Hospital of the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond. That same year the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing began to offer a three-month affiliation in psychiatric nursing for senior students in approved nursing schools.

During World War II the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing became a member of the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps, increasing student enrollment by sixty percent. The annex, which was the nurses' home in the forties, was completed in January, 1946. In the forties the student nurses traveled to Morisania Hospital in New York City for their second year of education. After the war, the number of student nurses decreased so much that the nursing education program was discontinued with the last class graduating in 1949. At that time, the affiliation in psychiatric nursing was still being offered to students who had completed 21 months of the basic nursing course from approved schools of nursing, and sixty student nurses arrived at the hospital for a three month affiliating period in psychiatric nursing.


As the need became apparent for trained nurses and personnel, a nurses' home was built and the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing opened in 1902 with eight female students. It continued until October 1913 when the school was reorganized and arrangements were made for the students to receive the second year of their education at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. The first class graduated in June 1915. The school was incorporated as Dix Hill Hospital Training School for Nurses, in 1916. Anderson Hall was built to accommodate the school offices, classrooms and living quarters for student nurses in 1918.

During the year 1930 the School of Nursing was brought up to the standards required by the Standardization Board, the accrediting agency for schools of nursing in North Carolina. The school for nurses at the State Hospital was reincorporated as the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing in 1933. The student nurses received two years' training in the hospital and in their third year affiliated with a general hospital which made them eligible for the North Carolina state examinations and for reciprocity with other states.

In 1936 the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing was operating according to the standards set by the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Students received the second year of their education at the General Hospital of the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond. That same year the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing began to offer a three-month affiliation in psychiatric nursing for senior students in approved nursing schools.

During World War II the Dorothea Dix School of Nursing became a member of the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps, increasing student enrollment by sixty percent. The annex, which was the nurses' home in the forties, was completed in January, 1946. In the forties the student nurses traveled to Morisania Hospital in New York City for their second year of education. After the war, the number of student nurses decreased so much that the nursing education program was discontinued with the last class graduating in 1949. At that time, the affiliation in psychiatric nursing was still being offered to students who had completed 21 months of the basic nursing course from approved schools of nursing, and sixty student nurses arrived at the hospital for a three month affiliating period in psychiatric nursing.


[Identification of item], ORG.140, Dorothea Dix School of Nursing Related Papers, State Archives of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC, USA.


Records were received from the Librarian of Dorothea Dix Hospital, and accessioned as a transfer October, 2008.


Additional information on topics found in this collection may be found in the Manuscript and Archives Reference System (MARS)  http://www.ncarchives.dcr.state.nc.us.

  1. Dorothea Dix Hospital

The collection includes Letters of Incorporation for the School; also publications  The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing and  Dixiana; photographs of the graduating classes from 1930 through 1948; a photograph of nursing students dated approximately between 1905 and 1908; and miscellaneous materials from the school.

Chronological within each record type.


The collection includes Letters of Incorporation for the School; also publications  The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing and  Dixiana; photographs of the graduating classes from 1930 through 1948; a photograph of nursing students dated approximately between 1905 and 1908; and miscellaneous materials from the school.


  • Dorothea Dix Hospital (Raleigh, N.C.)
  • United States. Cadet Nurse Corps
  • Nursing schools
  • Raleigh (N.C.)
  • Wake County (N.C.)

Includes records, publications, photographs, and miscellaneous.

Folder: 1  
Letters of Incorporation, , <unitdate type="inclusive" calendar="gregorian" era="ce">1933</unitdate>
1916

Folder: 2  
Applications
1942

Folder: 3  
Publication <title xlink:type="simple" render="italic">Dixiana</title>
1951

Folder: 4  
Publication <title xlink:type="simple" render="italic">The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing</title>
1947

Folder: 5  
Miscellaneous

Folder: 6  
Photograph-Nursing Students
circa 1905-1908

Folder: 7  
Photographs-Graduating Classes
1930-1939

Folder: 8  
Photographs-Graduating Classes
1940-1948

Folder: 9  
Photograph-Cadet Class
1944

15925  
Cadet Nurse arm patch

15926  
U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Membership card
1944