Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station Records, ORG.5190

Menu

Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station Records, ORG.5190

Abstract

The Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station (#186) was established in 1883 at the northern end of Ocracoke Island, on the south side of Hatteras Inlet. The station was destroyed in a hurricane in the 1950s and rebuilt on the north side of Hatteras Inlet. The Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station Records, 1951-1953, contains three record books kept by officers of the station. Two log books, dated 12 March 1952-8 June 1952 and 23 August 1953-23 October 1953, track the daily operations of the station, including vehicles and boats that passed or stopped by the station, changing of the guard, and other occurrences. A 1951 supply inventory records goods and materials on hand in the station's supply room.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station Records
Call Number
ORG.5190
Creator
Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station
Date
1951-1953 1951-1953
Language
English
Repository
Outer Banks History Center

Series Quick Links

  1. Collection Contents

Restrictions on Access & Use

Access Restrictions

Available for research.

Use Restrictions

Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by the United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code.) Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying these materials.

Preferred Citation

ORG.5190, Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station Records, Outer Banks History Center, Manteo, NC, U.S.A.

Collection Overview

The Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station Records, 1951-1953, contains three record books kept by officers of the station. Two log books, dated 12 March 1952-8 June 1952 and 23 August 1953-23 October 1953, track the daily operations of the station, including vehicles and boats that passed or stopped by the station, changing of the guard, and other occurrences. A 1951 supply inventory records goods and materials on hand in the station's supply room.

Biographical/Historical

The Hatteras Inlet Lifeboat Station (#186) was established in 1883 at the northern end of Ocracoke Island, on the south side of Hatteras Inlet. Originally called the Ocracoke Lifeboat Station, the unit changed names in 1904 when another station was established in the village of Ocracoke. The station was destroyed in a hurricane in the 1950s and rebuilt on the north side of Hatteras Inlet.

Contents of the Collection

Collection Contents
Log Book, 1952
1:1.1
Log Book, 1953 - 1953
1:1.2
Supply Inventory, 1951 - 1951
1:1.3

Subject Headings

  • United States--Coast Guard
  • Lifeboat service--United States--History
  • Hatteras Inlet (N.C.)--History
  • Acquisitions Information

    Gift, Donated by Dawn Taylor, February 2016.

    Processing Information

  • Processed by Samantha Crisp, December 2017.