Finding Aid of the Good Samaritan Hospital, Inc. (Charlotte, N.C.), Minutes and General Records, 1891-1960, ORG.55


Finding Aid of the Good Samaritan Hospital, Inc. (Charlotte, N.C.), Minutes and General Records, 1891-1960, ORG.55


The Good Samaritan Hospital was organized in 1889 in Charlotte under the auspices of St. Peter's Episcopal Church of that city. Operative under the sponsorship of that church until 1960, the hospital is believed to be the first privately-funded hospital in the United States built and operated exclusively for black patients.

Descriptive Summary

Good Samaritan Hospital, Inc. Administrative Records
Call Number
Good Samaritan Hospital (Charlotte, N.C.)
1.00 boxes
State Archives of North Carolina

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Org.55, Good Samaritan Hospital, Inc. (Charlotte, N.C.), Minutes and General Records, State Archives of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC, USA.

Collection Overview

Included in the Records of the Good Samaritan Hospital, Inc. are minutes, annual reports, an operating expense report, charter amendment, lists of staff, by-laws and amendments, diocesan trustee reports and diocesan records, and miscellaneous. Dates of minutes range from December 1916 to April of 1953, and dates of annual reports are from 1892 to 1911. Other dated records of interest include the certificate of amendment to the charter, 1947; and report of Trustees of Diocese, May 1960.

Arrangement Note

Arrangement is chronological within each series.

Finding Aid prepared by: Emily S. Jones on 1 August 1972. Revised by: Fran Tracy-Walls in December 2002.

Historical Note

The Good Samaritan Hospital was organized in 1889 in Charlotte under the auspices of St. Peter's Episcopal Church of that city. It is believed to be the first privately funded hospital in the United States built and operated exclusively for black patients.

The origins of the hospital have been attributed both to the mission philosophy of the Episcopal Church and the determined efforts of St. Peter's clergy and parishioners. Of the latter, Jane Renwick Smedberg Wilkes (1827-1913) was particularly outstanding in her efforts to establish the hospital and to lead other philanthropic activities in the community for more than fifty years. Good Samaritan was erected with funds raised by private subscriptions and by continuous appeals through the Episcopal church papers.

The hospital began operation in 1891 under the governance of a board of managers, all women of St. Peter's Episcopal Church. In 1925, a major addition was built immediately behind the original building which more than doubled the facility's capacity. In the 1930's additional property was acquired, and in 1937 another wing was added, making it at the time a 100-bed hospital with the latest equipment. Staff included 22 nurses, with patients from most of the doctors of the city. By the early 1950's, however, the facilities and staffing were not able to keep pace with the years, and a small church found it increasingly difficult to support a modern hospital, even with monies that had come over the years from the Duke Endowment
and the Julius Rosenwald fund.

In 1959, Memorial Hospital (now known as Carolinas Medical Center) agreed to take over Good Samaritan and the hospital continued to serve the purpose for which it was built, under a staff of both white and black doctors. However, during 1960 the Episcopal church gave the hospital to the City of Charlotte, and the hospital came under the supervision of the Memorial Hospital Authority. In June, 1961, the site was formally passed to the ownership of the city. It was used as a hospital until 1982 under the name, Charlotte Community Hospital. Then it functioned for a time as the Magnolias Rest Home. In 1990 the building was demolished to make room for Ericsson Stadium.

Contents of the Collection

1. Minutes,1916-1953


This series contains the minutes of Good Samaritan Hospital's Board of Managers. These records are bound in volumes and date from December, 1916 to April 1953. There are also minutes of the Executive Board meeting held in 1947.

Minutes, December 1916-December 1934
Minutes, January 1935-December 1939
Minutes, January 1940-December 1945
Minutes, January 1946-April 1953

2. Miscellaneous Reports and Administrative Records,1892-1960


This series contains miscellaneous reports and organization records, including annual reports, an analytical report regarding operating expenses, information about the staff and nursing school, by-laws and amendment to by-laws, certificate of amendment to charter, report of Trustees of Diocese, and photocopied records from Headquarters, Episcopal Diocesan Office, Raleigh. Dates are not consecutive, but are as early as 1892 and as late as 1960. Some are undated.

Annual Reports,1892-1911
Comparative Analysis of Operating Expenses, Good Samaritan Hospital and Other Hospitals, no date
Medical Staff and Nursing School, no date
Certificate of Amendment of the Charter,1946
By-Laws and Amendment to By-Laws, no date
Report of Trustees of Diocese,May 1960
Records from Diocesan Headquarters, Raleigh

3. Miscellaneous Records, no date


These are miscellaneous records that do not fit in any other category.

Subject Headings

  • Episcopal Church. Diocese of North Carolina
  • Good Samaritan Hospital (Charlotte, N.C.)
  • Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (Charlotte, N.C.)
  • Episcopal Church. Diocese of North Carolina.
  • Good Samaritan Hospital (Charlotte, N.C.)
  • St. Peter's Episcopal Church (Charlotte, N.C.)
  • African Americans
  • Hospitals
  • Hospital trustees
  • Women volunteers in social service
  • Church records and registers
  • African Americans--Hospitals--North Carolina--Charlotte.
  • Hospital trustees--North Carolina--Charlotte.
  • Hospitals--North Carolina--Charlotte.
  • Women volunteers in social service--North Carolina--Charlotte.
  • Charlotte (N.C.)
  • Charlotte (N.C.)
  • Annual reports.
  • Church records.
  • Minutes.
  • Acquisitions Information

    Some of the records of the Good Samaritan Hospital were loaned by Mrs. John S. Gaul of Charlotte and some by Mr. Allen Wilkes, formerly a student at North Carolina State University. Mrs. Gaul, who had served as secretary of the hospital's Board of Managers, and Mr. Wilkes, who accumulated some of the material while working on a seminar paper related to this hospital, loaned these records for archival custody upon receipt of permission from the Diocesan Headquarters of the Protestant Episcopal Church. The records were received 29 October 1970 and accessioned 13 June 1972.

    Processing Information

  • Processed by Emily S. Jones, August, 1972
  • Encoded by Fran Tracy-Walls, December, 2002