St. Genevieve-of-the-Pines Guestbook, ORG.7012


St. Genevieve-of-the-Pines Guestbook, ORG.7012

Descriptive Summary

St. Genevieve-of-the-Pines Guestbook
Call Number
St. Genevieve-of-the-Pines (Asheville, N.C.)
1917 - 1922
0.010 cubic feet
Western Regional Archives, State Archives of North Carolina

Quick Links

Restrictions on Access & Use

Access Restrictions

Available for research

Use Restrictions

Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], ORG.7012, St. Genevieve-of-the-Pines Guestbook, State Archives of North Carolina, Western Regional Archives, Asheville, NC, USA.

Collection Overview

1 guestbook


Hillside Convent was founded in Asheville, North Carolina, in 1908 by the Sisters of Christian Education, a Catholic order. Non-denominational day instruction was available to children ages 6-13. In the early years, the faculty was European-born and courses in French and German were taught by native speakers. Because of the school's popularity, classes were first held at 48 Starnes Avenue, but later moved to 74 Main Street to accommodate additional students. In 1910, the Victoria Inn on Victoria Drive was purchased. The acquisition allowed Hillside Convent to expand further and by 1911, in addition to the day school, St. Genevieve's College, offered secondary education to young ladies ages 14-18 by boarding or day school.

By 1912, the school was known as St. Genevieve Academy. Instruction, for day or boarding students, was divided as follows: The Preparatory, for boys and girls to age 13; The Academy, which corresponded to high school; and The College, which offered an additional four years of study that led to degrees. Later the school was known by the fashionable moniker St. Genevieve of the Pines. A special two-year course of study, a lycee, was available in French.

Gibbons Hall School for Boys began in 1949, when a new facility was built for male students who took day classes. However, after the Sisters of Christian Education ceased funding for the schools, a new co-educational St. Genevieve-Gibbons Hall was created in the early 1970s. It offered day classes from kindergarten to ninth grade. By the mid-1980s, another merger took place when St. Genevieve-Gibbons Hall School combined with Asheville Country Day School to form Carolina Day School.

Today, Carolina Day School serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade from their campus on Hendersonville Road, the site of Asheville Country Day School.

Contents of the Collection

Container Count
1 Folder

Subject Headings

  • St. Genevieve-of-the-Pines (Asheville, N.C.)
  • Nonpublic Schools
  • Asheville (N.C.)