Finding Aid of Dobbs County Manuscripts, PC.1912

Menu

Finding Aid of Dobbs County Manuscripts, PC.1912

Abstract

Dobbs County was formed in 1758 from Johnston, under an act effective 10 April 1759. When the county was abolished in 1791, Dobbs's former land went into the formation of Lenoir and Glasgow (name changed to Greene in 1799). Early Dobbs County manuscripts are particularly important because of extensive records loss in fires in the Lenoir County Courthouse, 1878 and 1880. Similarly, Greene had lost many court and all land records in 1876.
Consists of four Dobbs County manuscripts: two documents accessioned in 2001, both deeds (indented deeds or indentures), dated 1770 (John Charlescraft to Benjmain Caswell, 600 acres) and 1785 (Benjamin Caswell to Abraham Hill, 350 acres). Includes also two documents accessioned in 2012, consisting of one land grant, dated 1767, 436 acres to James Hinson; and one deed (indented deed or indenture), 1779, Richard Caswell to James Lawson, Jr., 380 acres.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Dobbs County Manuscripts
Call Number
PC.1912
Creator
Caswell family
Date
1767-1785
Extent
4.00 items
Language
English
Repository
State Archives of North Carolina

Series Quick Links

  1. Collection Contents

Restrictions on Access & Use

Access Restrictions

Available for research

Use Restrictions

Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item] PC.1912, Dobbs County Manuscripts, State Archives of North Carolina, Raleigh, N.C., USA.

Collection Overview

Early Dobbs County manuscripts are particularly important because of extensive records loss in fires in the Lenoir County Courthouse, 1878 and 1880. Consists of four Dobbs County manuscripts: two documents accessioned in 2001, both deeds (indented deeds or indentures), dated 1770 (John Charlescraft to Benjmain Caswell, 600 acres) and 1785 (Benjamin Caswell to Abraham Hill, 350 acres). Includes also two documents accessioned in 2012, consisting of one land grant, dated 1767, 436 acres to James Hinson; and one deed (indented deed or indenture), 1779, Richard Caswell to James Lawson, Jr., 380 acres. Each of the documents includes the names of individuals who owned adjoining lands, and one deed, Richard Caswell to James Lawson, Jr., references previous land ownership. Typically, the property was described by reference to corners, lines, trees, neighbors, creeks, and even a swamp.

Arrangement Note

Chronological, with 2001 accession in the first and second folders; and the 2012 accession in the third and fourth folders.

Historical Note

The following changes took place during the existence of Dobbs County: in 1764 part of Craven was annexed to Dobbs; in 1788 a portion of Dobbs was annexed to Jones County. For information on the dividing and boundary lines in county formation, see David Leroy Corbitt. , 1663. Raleigh: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1950; 1969. pp. 89-90.

Contents of the Collection

Collection Contents
Deed (Indented Deed or Indenture), John Charlecraft to Benjamin Caswell., 1770, February 20
Deed 1:1 Deed 1:2 Land Grant 1.3 Deed 1:4

600 acres located south side of Rainbow. [Probably Rainbow Creek, which rises in current-day south Greene County and flows north east into Contentnea Creek. That creek flows across Greene and onto the Lenoir-Pitt County line and into the Neuse River.]

Deed (Indented Deed or Indenture), Benjamin Caswell to Abraham Hill., 1785, April 1
4585

350 acres located on the south side of Rainbow Creek.

Land Grant. Number 512. To James Hinson., 1767, April 27
4586

436 acres. This manuscript grant describes the land as located between "Ground Nut and South Prong of Falling Creek, beginning at a red oak, John Mozzingoe's corner tree...to his other corner, a red oak, also a corner tree of Philip Stone's...runs to a water oak on Theophilus Bratter's line...." The reverse side of the grant states that it was enrolled in the office of the auditer [sic] general at Wilmington 29th April 1767. Note that the State Archives has what appears to be a copy of this land grant in the Office of Secretary of State, Land Grant Series, available through microfilm, in the Search Room.

Deed (Indented Deed or Indenture), Richard Caswell to James Lawson, Jr., 1779, June 16
4587

380 acres. Located in the fork of Ground Nut Swamp and the South Prong of Falling Creek. Document cites part of two surveys, one by John Rouse [?] and the other by Theophilus Baxter. The latter included all the land owned by the said T. Baxter on 16 May 1774 conveyed to Richard Caswell. Signed [apparently] by Richard Caswell. Sealed and delivered in the presence of witnesses, John Herritage and John Franck, both of whom signed the document. It was proved in Dobbs County Court during the session of October 1779 and ordered to be registered. There appears to be a signature by Martin Caswell. The transaction was enrolled in the Dobbs County Register, on 8 October 1779 by Samuel Caswell Registor [sic]. Note that Groundnut/Ground Nut Swamp is associated with a creek of the same name; it rises in present day northwest Lenoir County, and flows into Moseley Creek. Falling Creek flows from Green County across Lenoir County into the Neuse River.

Subject Headings

  • Caswell, Benjamin
  • Caswell, Martin
  • Caswell, Richard, 1729-1789
  • Caswell, Samuel
  • Charlecraft, John
  • Hill, Abraham
  • Hinson, James
  • Lawson, James
  • Charlecraft, John
  • Caswell, Benjamin
  • Hill, Abraham
  • Hinson, James
  • Caswell, Richard
  • Jr., James Lawson
  • Theophilus Bratter
  • Dobbs County (N.C.)
  • Greene County (N.C.)
  • Lenoir County (N.C.)
  • Rainbow
  • Dobbs County
  • Deeds
  • Indentures
  • Land grants
  • Acquisitions Information

    Documents dated 20 February 1770 and 1 April 1785 donated February 2001 by Ralph Thomas Hill and Miss Glenn Mewborn Hill of Snow Hill, N.C. Documents dated 27 April 1765 and 16 June 1779 donated 5 October 2012 by Lucie Rouse Saylor of Whispering Pines, N.C., and Ann R. Rouse of Raleigh, N.C.

    Processing Information

  • Processed by Fran Tracy-Walls
  • Finding Aid by Fran Tracy-Walls