The Norman and Hobson and related families, Phillips, Matthews, etc., were farmers, with roots in Surry County from which Stokes and Yadkin were formed, 1789 and 1850. The Hamilton and Chitty families (possibly unrelated) were living in Stokes County by the late 1700s, on land that became part of Forsyth in 1849. Though in different counties, these families were in close proximity to the historic Moravian tract (ca.1753), located near the three forks of Muddy Creek, which rises in current southwest Stokes, flows south through western Forsyth, then enters the Yadkin River.Papers includes a 1797 indenture, Frederic William Marshall, Moravian business manager of Wachovia, to Horatio Hamilton, S ... (more below)
Norman, Hobson, and Chitty Family Papers
The Norman and Hobson and related families, Phillips, Matthews, etc., were farmers, with roots in Surry County from which Stokes and Yadkin were formed, 1789 and 1850. The Hamilton and Chitty families (possibly unrelated) were living in Stokes County by the late 1700s, on land that became part of Forsyth in 1849. Though in different counties, these families were in close proximity to the historic Moravian tract (ca.1753), located near the three forks of Muddy Creek, which rises in current southwest Stokes, flows south through western Forsyth, then enters the Yadkin River.Papers includes a 1797 indenture, Frederic William Marshall, Moravian business manager of Wachovia, to Horatio Hamilton, Stokes County; two Evans and Chitty family deeds, 1885 and 1920, that include a portion of land conveyed in the 1797 document; receipts of David Chandler Norman, 1827-1857, Yadkin County, including those related to his role as estate executor of father-in-law, William Phillips; three family letters to Tyre C. Hobson, Norman's son-in-law, 1896-1915; a love letter (1915) from Hobson's grandson, Joe Tyre Matthews, to his future wife, Sarah Wooten; one photo and miscellaneous materials.
State Archives of North Carolina
Arranged chronologically within series.
Available for research
Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.
Processed by Fran Tracy-Walls
Finding Aid by Fran Tracy-Walls
Phillips and Norman Family, Surry, Stokes and Yadkin Counties: William Phillips (ca. 1777-1854) and his wife, Susannah (ca. 1785-1850), may have been born in Surry County, but eventually lived in Yadkin County. A daughter, Millia (Milly) was wed to David Chandler Norman (1806-1893), a farmer, at the Phillipses home on 12 January 1833. By the 1850 census, the Norman family, with nine children, was shown as living in Surry. By the 1860 census, the growing family lived in Yadkin County, in the vicinity of the Five Mile Fork Post Office. One of their daughters was also named Millia (Milly), born circa 1855, and eventually became the wife of Tyre Caswell Hobson. Note that in 1789 Stokes was formed from Surry and in 1850 Yadkin was formed from Surry.
Hobson, Matthews, and Related Families, Surry and Yadkin Counties Tyre Caswell Hobson (1843-1925) was born in the vicinity of Fall Creek, Surry County, south of the Yadkin River in the area that became Yadkin County, 1850. His parents were George (ca. 1815-1896) and Zilpha J. Williams Hobson (1818-1895). Tyre was married first to Malinda Tennessee Bovender (ca. 1849-1884). The couple had several children before her death in 1884, including Rosa Ann Hobson (Matthews) (ca. 1869-1834) and George Luther Ray Hobson (1873-1946). In 1886 Tyre married Amelia Millia (Millie) Esteline Norman (1855-1940), a child of Millia Phillips and David Chandler Norman. Together they had several more children including [Suzanah?] Cordelia (Delia) Hobson, born circa 1888.
One of the older children of the marriage of Tyre and Malinda Tennessee, Rosa Hobson, was married to Barnette (Barney) C. Matthews (1871-1937). The Matthews's children included Joseph (Joe) Tyre Matthews (1893-1968), who married Sarah Wooten (b. ca. 1898) around 1918. She was the daughter of Thomas J. and Florence Hutchens Wooten, of Fall Creek, Yadkin County. They and many of the interrelated families (Hobson, Hutchins, Norman, Wooten, etc.) are interred at the Forbush Friends Meeting Cemetery, part of the historic Quaker church, with its graves dating back to the late 1700s. Note: The community takes its name from the headwaters of Big and Little Forbush Creeks, which join and flow into the Yadkin River.
Persons Named in Indentures and Deeds of 1797; 1885; and 1920, Stokes, in the Area that Became Forsyth County in 1849
Indenture of 7 November 1797: One part Horatio Hamilton, Wachovia, Stokes County; the other part James Hutton, Pimlico, County of Middlesex, Great Britain, [conveyed to] Frederic William Marshall, Salem, Wachovia, Stokes County
The Moravians, already established in Pennsylvania, began to settle in North Carolina in 1753. During this period they were called the Unitas Fratrum, or the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United Brethren. The settlements in Pennsylvania were somewhat fragmented, spurring the church to seek a large tract of land to the south in the colony of North Carolina. John Carteret, 2nd Earl Granville (1690-1763), was an English nobleman with vast land holdings in the Carolinas and emerged as a means for the Brethren to realize their dream - to conduct their spiritual life in a large area that they could control in a relatively autonomous way. Their contract with Lord Granville (earlier title) in early 1753 was renegotiated because of various concerns; a second contract was dated 7 August 1753 and signed by Lord Granville and by James Hutton, secretary of the Unitas Fratum. The terms included taking fourteen surveyed tracts, which comprised the large tract on Muddy Creek, and adding them to some sixteen thousand acres to the north and nine thousand to the south that had been tentatively surveyed. All together the land totalled about 100,000 acres known then as Wachovia. On the advice of counsel, the nineteen deeds were made to Hutton, in part because the church was not incorporated. This fact is referenced in the 1797 indenture in this collection.
Notes on James Hutton (1715-1795): Hutton, a bookseller by trade, was born in London, England. His spiritual awakening as an adult came through an encounter with Charles and John Wesley (founder of Methodism). Once John Wesley had returned to England from Georgia he introduced Hutton to the Moravians. Hutton was ordained as a Moravian deacon, in 1749 and in May of 1752 appointed secretary of the Unity (Unitas Fratrum).
Notes on Frederick William Marshall (1721-1802): Marshall was born in Stolpen, Upper Lusatia, German to an army officer, Georg Rudolph von Marschall, and his wife, Louisa. An excellent student and orator, Marshall attended universities in Leipzig and Herrnhaag. With his father's consent Marshall joined the Unity of the Brethren (Moravian) Church in 1739 and began travelling to England and Holland in service of the church.
In England Marshall eventually became involved with matters relating to North Carolina, colonized by the Unity of Brethren in 1753. By 1761 Marshall was appointed senior civilis, a designation for selected church officers who excelled in administration, finance, and the ministry. Two years later the church conference in Europe appointed Marshall as agent for the North Carolina Unity and the chief administrator of Wachovia. By the end of the century Marshall had guided the development of Salem and environs from a wilderness to a prosperous and cohesive community. Called in 1775 to a church synod in Germany, Marshall was unable to return to North Carolina following the outbreak of the American Revolution. He returned in 1779, but in the meantime North Carolinians had sought to seize property of non-resident individuals not citizens of the state. Seizure of Wachovia was a large threat because the trustee, James Hutton was a British subject living in England. By 1778 Marshall had received title to the land; and in April 1783 the General Assembly appointed him as trustee for all Moravian lands in North Carolina and an authorized agent for the Unity of the Brethren. Until the end of the century Marshall continued to represent Wachovia and Salem in political and legal matters, and routinely sought devout and productive men to purchase land and to settle the area.
Notes on Horatio Hamilton (ca. 1756-1840):Hamilton was born to Ninian and Margaret Hamilton, Carroll's Manor, Frederick, Maryland. Several families from this area migrated during the early years of the Wachovia settlement. Around 1782 Hamilton, a planter, married Louisa/Lucy Peddycoard (1755- 1800), and they became the parents of three daughters and a son: Mary Hamilton Fisher (ca. 1784-1856); Sarah Hamilton Holland (ca. 1784-1859); Elizabeth Hamilton Vogler (ca. 1787-1869); Samuel Hamilton (ca. 1790-1816). Hamilton may have married secondly Sarah Schneider Frey in 1801 ( ca.1737-1826); there were no children from this marriage.
Around 1775, several families of English descent from Carroll's Manor, Frederick County, settled in the Clemmons area of Wachovia, Stokes County, now the southwestern portion of Forsyth County, bordering the southeastern area of Yadkin County. In a section known then as Hope, a church was begun, consecrated March 28, 1780, became fully constituted as part of the Brethren Church and the first English congregation in the area. Hamilton was a long-time member of the congregation of the church at Hope, where he served as steward and possibly held other offices. He, his wives and two daughters, Sarah Holland and Elizabeth Vogler were buried there. (Among the various other family names are Chitty, Jarvis, Peddy coard, Slater, and Stipe. [Source Forsyth County Historical Association website. Old Hope Cemetery.]
Deeds of 1885 and 1920: Stipe/Evans/Chitty Families, Forsyth County (previously Stokes): A North Carolina Marriage Collection record shows that Martha Stipe and Obadiah Evans were married 9 March 1850, in Forsyth County (probably in area that was previously Stokes) . Martha C. [Stipe] Evans (1821-1887) and Obadiah S. Evans (1822-1882) were parents of Mary Jane Evans Chitty (1851-1923), wife of Charles M. Chitty. She was deeded land from them in 1885. Their son, Arthur R. Chitty was born circa 1881, received this same land from his mother in 1920. The Chitties are shown on the U.S. Federal censuses of 1900, 1920, 1940 as living at South Fork, Forsyth County . The Evans and Chitties named above are buried at the cemetery of a former Moravian meeting house, formed in 1867 and now named the Pleasant Fork Baptist Church Cemetery. The cemetery was designed in the Moravian style with a central aisle.
The contents of this collection were obtained by the donor at a fundraising sale. All of the papers were contained in a coarse, handmade cotton pouch measuring 4 and 1/2 x 6 and 3/4 inches. The source of the pouch and its contents is unknown.
[Identification of item] PC.2074, Norman, Hobson, and Chitty Family Papers, State Archives of North Carolina, Raleigh, N.C., U.S.A.
Gift of Sue Smith, Greensboro, N.C., August 2013.
Additional information on topics found in this collection may be found in the Manuscript and Archives Reference System (MARS) http://mars.archives.ncdcr.gov/BasicSearch.aspx
Papers include an indenture of 1797 of Frederic William Marshall, Moravian business manager of Wachovia, to Horatio Hamilton, Stokes County; two later Evans and Chitty family deeds, 1885 and 1920, that include a portion of land conveyed in the 1797 document; receipts of David Chandler Norman, 1822-1857, Yadkin County, including those related to his role as executor of the estate of father-in-law, William Phillips; three family letters to Tyre C. Hobson, Norman's son-in-law, 1896-1915; a love letter (1915) to future wife, Sarah Wooten, from Hobson's grandson, Joe Tyre Matthews; one small photograph; and a small quantity of miscellaneous materials. Series consist of David C. Norman Receipts and Notes; William Phillips Notes, Receipts, and Estate Papers; Norman and Hobson Family Letters and Photographs; Indentures/Deeds; and Miscellaneous Materials.
Dictionary of North Carolina Biography, s.v. Frederic William Marshall; Encyclopedia of North Carolina, s.v. Moravians; Cemetery Cenus website including Forbush Friends Meeting, Yadkin County; Findagrave website, including, Forsyth County, Hope Moravian Church Graveyard, Clemmons; Yadkin County, Forbush Friends Cemetery, Norman Family Cemetery; North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975; Formation of the North Carolina Counties, 1663-1943. Raleigh, [N.C.] Dept. of Archives and History, 1969, pp. 200-201; North Carolina Gazetteer, Chapel Hill: UNC Press), s.v. [various names in four-county region]; Records of the Moravians in North Carolina; State Archives of North Carolina, Stokes County Wills, Will of Horatio Hamilton, 19 Oct. 1839; website of ncpedia.org, managed by the State Library of North Carolina, s.v. Marshall, Frederic William; U.S. Federal Census, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930.
Includes various receipts and notes of David Chandler Norman (ca. 1806-1893), Yadkin County, probably near East Bend.
Includes a petition and statement of conditions whereby David C. Norman give up a judgment against Thomas Mikel for debt, 12 October 1827 (Surry County); and a receipt for the amount of $2.00 from David Mackie for David C. Norman's account, 11 December 1828.
Note apparently written by and witnessed by James D. Leamon, with mark of William Phillips noted.
Denotes Norman's payment of public, county, state, and poor taxes, and surveyor's fees.
Includes promissory note and material related to the estate of William Phillips (ca. 1777-1854), Yadkin County.
Promise to pay A.P. and R.C. Poindexter amount of $75.00. Mark of William Phillips.
Oath names John Martin as agent for J. Poindexter in relation to the indebtedness of Phillips's estate.
Four items document Norman as named executor of the estate of William Phillips, his father-in-law. A fifth item notes "the Estate of William Phillips [?] to D.C. Norman to taking keer of one negro woman and 3 children [2?] months. $18.00."
Four items include one oath, Yadkin County, that "This day [1 May 1856] John L. Speas came before me R.C. Poindexter an acting justice of the peace and made oath that ... account of $3.73 against the Estate of William Phillips ded'd is past and true." The items and prices included flour, 68 [cents]; bacon, 62.5; lard, 12.5; whiskey, 30; making 1 coffin, 1.25; to cash, 75.
Includes two letters dated 27 September and 22 November from Luther Hobson, G. L. Hobson, both mailed from Sheridan, Indiana. There are references to the sowing of wheat, husking of corn, the tobacco crop back home. G. L. writes of the notion that "you are all sitting around the old tobacco barns by this time drinking the good old brandy," which he himself could use at that time. There is reference to a family member also in Sheridan, Dave Norman. Includes also one letter dated 23 January 1915 or 1916 from Delia, mailed from Sheffield, Iowa. The greeting of the latter letter included both father and mother and referred to a nice time at Christmas, although the family did not go where the "small pox was thick." She missed their presence at her recent birthday and listed the menu at the celebration as "chicken dressen beans potatoes cabbage strawberries apple sauce to kinds of pie and to kinds of cake pickle cucumbers." She reports that the family has moved recently so the hens stopped laying, and other details such as how Howard "has growed so."
Joseph (Joe) born 1893, and a resident of East Bend, Yadkin County, was a grandson of Tyre C. Hobson. Sarah, born in 1896, grew up in nearby Fall Creek, Yadkin County. Joe's sentences lack standard punctuation but convey his strong commitment to "sweet girl" Sarah. He writes "how did you injoy your self sunday might I guess you did not get a blessing out monday I hope not I now that the old folks is mad at me and dont [want] me to go with you but I am going as long as you want me to to come and I hope that will be on and on...." Sarah was about eighteen when this letter was written. They were married in 1918, about three years later and eventually became parents of at least seven children.
Letter has been damaged and overwritten, therefore very difficult to read.
This is a small 2 x 3 inch photograph, black and white, of two men seated on a bench placed outside under the window of a house. One man is elderly and is attired in a white long-sleeved shirt with suspenders. He is holding a can and supporting a hat on his knee. A middle-aged man is wearing a light-colored suit and tie. The photograph was in a small photo holder and inside an enveloped mailed 21 December 1934 to Mr. and Mrs. Dack Norman of East Bend, N.C. It is uncertain whether the contents were originally mailed in this envelope to the Normans.
Consists of deed, 1797, Stokes County, for land purchased by Horation Hamilton; and the land described therein in two deeds of 1885 and 1920, involving Stipe/Evans/Chitty families, of Forsyth, previously Stokes County.
The deed of indenture (grantee copy), hand-written on quality paper of heavy stock, with the top side being a wavy or indented edge, was between Horatio Hamilton, Wachovia, Stokes County, and Frederic William Marshall. Grantor, Marshall, signed the deed, and it was witnessed by John Right and Lewis Meinung. The tract (also buildings, etc.) conveyed for the sum of 50 pounds and four shillings was located on the southeast side of the Middle For of Gargales or Muddy Creek called the Wach. The first section of the document includes a history of the land holding, beginning with the conveyance of nineteen deeds by John Earl Granville to James Hutton of Pimlico, Middlesex, Great Britain , and the circumstance by which Marshall was party to a deed of lease, 27-28 October 1778, and registered in Surry County; and the act by the General Assembly of North Carolina, 1782, whereby the said leases were vested in Marshall. (See Historical Notes). Note that the document is legible and in relatively good condition except for the damage from adhesive tape applied at various points where the document was split at points where it was folded for long periods of time.
Document signed by Obadiah Evans and Martha C. Evans and by W. L. Swain, witness, for conveyance to Mary J. Chitty, for five acres of land, on Middle form of Muddy Creek, Forsyth County.
Conveyance subject to the life of the Grantors, including a tract of five acres, previously deeded from Obadia [sic], wife to Mary J. Chitty; and a tract for 28 acres, previously deeded from Reuben [?] H. Evans [to] Mary Chitty and husband and Caroline C. Morgan and husband, dated 25 Feb. 1888.
Includes a fragment of a handwritten 19th century poem; an 1846 receipt for nails; an 1859 promissory note; and receipts and an application for a motor vehicle title (1925).