Finding Aid of the Baum Family Papers, 1700 - 1984, PC.5066

Menu

Finding Aid of the Baum Family Papers, 1700 - 1984, PC.5066

Abstract

The materials in this collection primarily relate to the genealogy/family history of the Baum family of Currituck County, one of the earliest families to settle the Outer Banks. The collection includes a diary, correspondence, financial records, genealogical material, deeds, wills, publications and photographs. Many of the materials are photocopies.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Baum Family Papers
Call Number
PC.5066
Creator
Baum family
Date
1883-1984 and undated
Extent
0.15 cubic feet
Language
English
Repository
Outer Banks History Center

Restrictions on Access & Use

Access Restrictions

Available for research.

Use Restrictions

Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], PC.5066, Baum Family Papers, Outer Banks History Center, Manteo, NC, USA.

Collection Overview

The materials in this collection primarily relate to genealogy and family history of the Baum family of Currituck County. Most of the materials in this collection are photocopies. The genealogical charts and family Bible records (located in the Genealogical Table Folder), as well as the 1840 and 1850 census for Currituck County, trace multiple family members. There are also photocopies of individual wills and deeds pertaining to property owned by different family members, including a photocopy of a deed for the Caffey's Inlet Lifesaving Station. Local history publications include by William P. Cumming and booklets marking Currituck County's Bicentennial and Tricentennial celebrations.

The first folder of this collection contains a notebook apparently kept by numerous members of the Baum family. The notebook opens with minutes of the Currituck Seaside Rosebuds meetings held at U.S. Lifesaving Station Number 10 or Willow Grove in fall 1883. Each entry appears in a different hand. Following these minutes, the notebook becomes a diary started by an unidentified Baum son in 1884 and apparently continued by numerous members of the Baum family through 1888. Many of the later entries are signed by Loyd C. Baum or Julian Baum, but most authors are unidentified. The back of the book is signed by Loyd C. Baum, Everton Walker, and Carrie Baum, all of whom are mentioned in some of the diary entries. Entries generally discuss the comings and goings of individual family members, visitors to the farm, illnesses, the weather, and daily chores.

Arrangement Note

The Baum Family Papers are arranged by subject and by document type. They are arranged into the following series: Correspondence, Financial Records, Genealogy, Deeds, Wills, Publications and Photographs.

Biographical Note

The Baum family is likely one of the earliest families to settle the Outer Banks. The family can trace roots back to the early 1700s and has historically owned extensive property in Currituck County and the surrounding counties. Some of the better known family members include Josephus Baum and Washington Franklin Baum. Josephus owned a windmill located between Poyner's Hill and Paul Gamiels Hill. Washington Franklin Baum, a native of Wanchese, was a Dare County Recorders court judge for twenty-six years. The bridge that connects Manteo to south Nags Head, dedicated in 1962, was named for him.

Contents of the Collection

1. Baum Family Notebook, 1883-1888

2. Letter from George G. Sears to Mrs. Baum [13 May 1935, Photocopy], undated

3. Financial Records, 1907 and undated

Pension Distribution, 1907
Box 1
Sales Log of Property on Vessels found on Body's Island [1866, Photocopy], undated
Box 1

4. Genealogy, 1963-1984 and undated

1840 Census, Camden County (N.C.) [Typed Transcript], undated
Box 1
1850 Census, Camden County (N.C.) [Typed Transcript], [1968?]
Box 1
Genealogical Table, 1963-1984 and undated
Box 1
Relationship Deed Books: Pasquotank County, 1700-1777; Camden County, 1777-1828 [Typed Transcript], undated
Box 1

5. Deeds, undated

Caffey's Inlet Lifesaving Station [28 April 1877, Photocopy], undated
Box 1
Narrow Shore, Poplar Branch Township [1944, Photocopies], undated
Box 1
Islands in the Currituck Sound [3 April 1876, Photocopy], undated
Box 1

6. Wills: Joseph Baum (1850), Joseph White (1882), John S. Davis/Matilda "Polly" Baum (1860), 1964 and undated

7. Publications, 1958-1984

Captain James Wimble, His Maps, and the Colonial Cartography of the North Carolina Coast by William P. Cumming, 1969
Box 1
Currituck County Bicentennial Celebration Booklet, 1976
Box 1
Currituck County Tricentennial Booklet, 1970
Box 1
Clippings, 1958-1984
Box 1

8. Photographs, 1962-1965

Daniel Baum Family Reunion, 1965
Box 1
Washington Baum Bridge [Includes Dedication Program], 1962
Box 1

Subject Headings

  • Baum, A.W.
  • Baum, Caroline
  • Baum, Joseph
  • Baum, Josephus
  • Baum, Matilda
  • White, Joseph
  • Baum family
  • Caffey's Inlet Lifesaving Station
  • Bridges--North Carolina--Dare County
  • Deeds--North Carolina--Currituck County
  • Shipwrecks
  • Camden County (N.C.)--Genealogy
  • Currituck County (N.C.)--Genealogy
  • Currituck County (N.C.)--History
  • Currituck Sound (N.C.)
  • Dare County (N.C.)--Genealogy
  • Poplar Branch Township (N.C.)
  • Acquisitions Information

    Donated by Wesley L. Baum, January 2003.

    Processing Information

  • Processed by Christine A. Dumoulin, 2006. Encoded by Stuart Parks II, October 2008. Revised and updated by Samantha Crisp, May 2019.