Currituck Shooting Club Scrapbook, PC.5150

Menu

Currituck Shooting Club Scrapbook, PC.5150

Abstract

The Currituck Shooting Club was founded in 1857 on the western coast of the Outer Banks, facing the Currituck Sound, on 3,100 acres of land in present-day Corolla. The original clubhouse was ravaged during the Civil War and was replaced in 1879-1882 by a larger building consisting of three connected structures. The club was very exclusive and was visited by many wealthy and notable patrons, including J.P. Morgan and members of the Vanderbilt family. This collection consists of a single scrapbook entitled "Currituck Shooting Club: Ponds, Creeks, Leads." The scrapbook, created in November 1974 by Murray Chappell, Sr., consists of several hand-drawn maps of the hunting grounds surrounding the site of the Currituck Shooting Club.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Currituck Shooting Club Scrapbook
Call Number
PC.5150
Creator
Chappell, Murray, Sr.
Date
November 1974
Extent
0.30 cubic feet
Language
English
Repository
Outer Banks History Center

Series Quick Links

    Restrictions on Access & Use

    Access Restrictions

    Available for research.

    Use Restrictions

    Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by the United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying these materials.

    Preferred Citation

    PC.5150, Currituck Shooting Club Scrapbook, Outer Banks History Center, Manteo, NC, U.S.A.

    Collection Overview

    This collection consists of a single scrapbook entitled "Currituck Shooting Club: Ponds, Creeks, Leads." The scrapbook, created in November 1974 by Murray Chappell, Sr., consists of several hand-drawn maps of the hunting grounds surrounding the site of the Currituck Shooting Club. The maps mark the locations of duck blinds in the various ponds and creeks surrounding the site, and most maps are labeled with desirable wind directions for shooting. The final two maps in the scrapbook plot the location of the clubhouse and outbuildings. While the maps and cover page date from 1974, the scrapbook itself appears to be of 21-century construction.

    Arrangement Note

    Alphabetical

    Biographical/Historical

    The Currituck Shooting Club was founded in 1857 on the western coast of the Outer Banks, facing the Currituck Sound, on 3,100 acres of land in present-day Corolla. The original clubhouse was ravaged during the Civil War and was replaced in 1879-1882 by a larger building consisting of three connected structures. The club was very exclusive and was visited by many wealthy and notable patrons, including J.P. Morgan and members of the Vanderbilt family. Operations were largely successful until the 1930s, by which point the waterfowl population in the Currituck area had become decimated. Despite this, the club continued to operate, and by the 1980 season, twelve members were enrolled. Ownership at that time cost $75,000 and included a deed to a room, a duck skiff and decoys, and access to local duck blinds and ponds. The clubhouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. At the time it was placed on the Register, the Currituck Shooting Club purported to be the oldest continually-operating hunting club in the United States.

    An electrical fire completely destroyed the clubhouse in 2003. A housing development was built on the site.

    Contents of the Collection

    Subject Headings

  1. Duck shooting
  2. Hunting--Social aspects
  3. Hunting and fishing clubs--North Carolina
  4. Corolla (N.C.)--History
  5. Currituck County (N.C.)--History
  6. Currituck County (N.C.)--Maps
  7. Currituck Sound (N.C.)
  8. Acquisitions Information

    Donated by Levi Bunch, August 2013.

    Processing Information

  9. Processed by Samantha Crisp, December 2017.