callout

Bodie Island Lighthouse Inventory


This collection consists of one handwritten document listing the inventory of articles, tools, and other supplies held at the Bodie Island Lighthouse, probably created to reflect the transfer of supplies from the first lighthouse to the newly constructed one. The inventory was completed and signed by Samuel Tillett (spelled Tillitt on the document) and dated 25 May 1859.

Title

Bodie Island Lighthouse Inventory

Collection Number

PC.5177

Date(s)

1859

Box 1
Language

English

Abstract

This collection consists of one handwritten document listing the inventory of articles, tools, and other supplies held at the Bodie Island Lighthouse, probably created to reflect the transfer of supplies from the first lighthouse to the newly constructed one. The inventory was completed and signed by Samuel Tillett (spelled Tillitt on the document) and dated 25 May 1859.

Physical Location

5B0

Creator

Tillett, Samuel, 1798-1876

Repository

Outer Banks History Center


Available for research.


Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by the United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying these materials.


Processed by Samantha Crisp, December 2017.


The Bodie (also spelled Body or Body's) Island Lighthouse was constructed to supplement the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in 1847. Problems with the foundation caused the lighthouse to lean within two years of its construction, and repairs proved to be impossible. A second lighthouse was built in 1859 and stood for only two years, until the Confederate Army destroyed it in 1861 to prevent it from being used for the benefit of the Union. A third lighthouse was constructed in 1871. Unlike the previous two structures, this lighthouse was located north of Oregon Inlet (the previous structures were actually located on Pea Island, south of the Inlet). The third lighthouse has undergone various restorations and still stands as of 2018.

The first keeper of Bodie Island Lighthouse was Samuel Tillett, who served from 1847 to 1849 and 1859 to 1861 (having been replaced by John B. Etheridge in the 1850s). This made Tillett the first keeper of both the first and second iterations of the lighthouse.


PC.5177, Bodie Island Lighthouse Inventory, Outer Banks History Center, Manteo, NC, U.S.A.


Donated by the Friends of the Outer Banks History Center, December 2016.


This collection consists of one handwritten document listing the inventory of articles, tools, and other supplies held at the Bodie Island Lighthouse, probably created to reflect the transfer of supplies from the first lighthouse to the newly constructed one. The inventory was completed and signed by Samuel Tillett (spelled Tillitt on the document) and dated 25 May 1859. Items listed include lamps, chimneys, wicks, lanterns, a tool box, a heater, pumps, rouge powder, chamois skins, tools, cook stoves, soldering acid, and other goods.


  • Bodie Island Lighthouse (N.C.)
  • Bodie Island (N.C.)--History