callout

Henry N. Brown Blotter, 1872


Henry Nichols Brown (1831-1908) had a general mercantile business in Hillsborough during the post Civil War years, first as Brown, Parks and Company (1866-1867), Brown and Company (1867-1869), then as Henry N. Brown (1870-1872).This single volume (blotter book), with entries January-September 1872, is all that survives as a record of the business of Henry N. Brown. Transactions reflect the groceries, oil, ready made clothing, piece goods, notions, powder, shot, shoes, coffin trimmings, and so forth that made up his stock in trade. Previously the volume had belonged to the Orange County Common School Board where it had been used as a ledger (Ledger B) for the years 1869-1863 by Brown's father ... (more below)

Title

Henry N. Brown Blotter, 1872

Collection Number

PC.AB.529

Date(s)

January - September 1872

Language

English

Physical Description
1 blotter (bookkeeping record), a volume bound in full calf, black labels stamped "Common Schools; Orange County."
Physical Description
Linear feet
0.10
Items
1.00
Abstract

Henry Nichols Brown (1831-1908) had a general mercantile business in Hillsborough during the post Civil War years, first as Brown, Parks and Company (1866-1867), Brown and Company (1867-1869), then as Henry N. Brown (1870-1872).

This single volume (blotter book), with entries January-September 1872, is all that survives as a record of the business of Henry N. Brown. Transactions reflect the groceries, oil, ready made clothing, piece goods, notions, powder, shot, shoes, coffin trimmings, and so forth that made up his stock in trade. Previously the volume had belonged to the Orange County Common School Board where it had been used as a ledger (Ledger B) for the years 1869-1863 by Brown's father, William H. Brown.

Creator

Brown, Henry N.

Repository

State Archives of North Carolina


Available for research


Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.


Processed by George Stevenson, completed 1996

Encoded by Fran Tracy-Walls, September 2003; additional encoding by Lea Walker, November 2016


Henry Nichols Brown (1831-1908) had a general mercantile business in Hillsborough during the post Civil War years, first as Brown, Parks and Company (1866-1867), Brown and Company (1867-1869), then as Henry N. Brown (1870-1872). Previously the volume (blotter book) had belonged to the Orange County Common School Board.


[Identification of item], PC.AB.529, Henry N. Brown Blotter, State Archives of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC, USA.


Originally classed as Orange County record (CR.073.926.1) but transferred to Account Books on July 23, 1996.


This single volume is all that survives as a record of Brown's business. It is a blotter used during the first nine months of 1872 in which Brown made rough entries to be transferred later into a formal journal and ledger. Transactions reflect the groceries, oil, ready made clothing, piece goods, notions, powder, shot, shoes, coffin trimmings, and so forth that made up his stock in trade.

Previously the volume had belonged to the Orange County Common School Board where it had been used as a ledger (Ledger B) for the years 1869-1863 by Brown's father, William H. Brown, chairman of the Orange County common school system. The elder Brown's death in 1866 occurred the year after the common school system had been abolished following the war. His son, seeing that his father had used only 79 pages in the volume, and that it would no longer be needed by the abolished school system, glued together the first 54 pages, cut out another 7 pages, and proceeded to use it as a blotter in his store.


  • General stores--North Carolina--Orange County
  • Grocers--North Carolina--Orange County
  • Orange County (N.C.)
  • Hillsborough (N.C.)
  • Hillsboro (N.C.)

This blotter served as a temporary record of transactions at the Henry N. Brown Company. The first 54 pages were glued together and the next 7 pages were cut out of the volume.